Wednesday 4 September 2013

Ilo Ilo

Went to Plaza Singapura to watch Ilo Ilo
昨天到了Plaza Singapura 看了《爸妈,不在家》这一部电影。


I am usually not attracted to such 'artsy' kind of movie genre,
but I still decided to watch it in the end.
Reasons being:
1) Ilo Ilo won a 15 minute standing ovation during its gala premiere,
it was also awarded the Camera d'Or at the Cannes.

2) The director of this film, Anthony Chen, was from Ngee Ann Polytechnic.

3) Being a Singaporean myself, it would be a shame to not support a local production. Let alone one that was awarded in Cannes.

After the movie, I still feel that such 'artsy' films are not my type.
I prefer those mainstream Hollywood productions,
but nonetheless, this film is definitely one of the better Singapore productions.

The storyline was simple and very close to the hearts of many Singaporeans, or even everyone.
Many of us have both parents working.
Thus, our parents will hire a maid to help look after us, and help with the chores.
I used to have a maid at home too,
so it was easy for me to relate to the movie.
The movie was inspired by the Director's true story,
which was quite similar to that of many, I believe, including myself.
I was pretty sad myself when the maid went home.
Until many years ago, I received a call from the maid.
But sadly, we lost contact ever since.

Sometimes, the most simple things touch our hearts the most.
Ilo Ilo is just like that.

(p.s. I still don't like artsy films, but Ilo Ilo is worth the watch)

我平常不爱看文艺片,
但是最后还是决定去看这一部电影。
原因如下:
1)《爸妈,不在家》这一部电影在康城首映时,荣获在场出席者15分钟的掌声。
除此之外,《爸妈,不在家》也在康城摘下‘金摄影机’奖,为新加坡争光。

2)导演陈哲艺是义安理工学院的校友。

3)身为新加坡人,当然应该支持本地制作,尤其是在康城获奖的作品。

虽然不喜欢文艺片,
但是不得不说这一部电影的确是新加坡电影当中,比较好的作品。
听说这一部电影灵感来自导演的真实故事。
简单的故事情节,非常贴近新加坡人、甚至是全世界的人的一个故事。
现在许多孩子的父母都在外工作,
所以家里就会请一个女佣帮忙分担家务、照顾小孩。
我家里也曾经有一个和我关系要好的女佣,
所以这一部电影对我来说,倍感亲切。

有时候,最简单的事情最让人感动。
《爸妈,不在家》便是如此。

(p.s. 我还是不怎么喜欢文艺片,但是《爸妈,不在家》真的值得一看哦。)

No comments:

Post a Comment